Homemade crunchy bagel chips are perfect for snacking! These perfect little crunchy bites of deliciousness pair well with your favorite dip and transports well, making them perfect for packing into your lunch box. Easily prepped ahead of time and used for snacking throughout the week. A great way to use up bagels that are about to become stale.
Before jumping to the recipe please note that the below information contains HOT TIPS for this recipe. We try and answer all your questions to guarantee a perfect lunchbox recipe every time.
🥯 Homemade Bagel Chips In The Air Fryer
I love having a batch of homemade bagel chips on hand for snacking throughout the week.
They come together so easily, especially using the air fryer, and are the perfect vehicle for shoveling a delicious dip (why not try making some of this whipped feta dip) into your mouth when you are on the run.
Great for using up stale bagels.
🧂 Ingredients You Need
You are going to need:
- bagels: I use everything bagels for this recipe, but you can use any kind of bagel you have on hand (garlic bagels also make delicious chips). This recipe is great for using up leftover bagels that are about to go stale, so don't be concerned if you don't have any fresh bagels;
- olive oil spray: choose a light olive oil that doesn't have a super strong flavor so as not to overpower the flavor of the bagel. You could sub in some melted butter if preferred and simply brush it onto the bagel slices with a pastry brush;
- sea salt
Just 3 simple ingredients and you are on your way to having the most delicious crispy, crunchy snack.
If you want to change things up you can add some garlic powder, garlic salt, or everything bagel seasoning to the oil mixture to give you some moreish garlic bagel chips.
📋 How To Make Air Fryer Bagel Chips
The best part of making bagel chips is just how easy it is!
Use a bread knife or serrated knife to slice bagels into thin pieces and pop them into a large mixing bowl.
Spread the bagel pieces onto an ungreased baking sheet and spray with olive oil spray. Sprinkle on the salt, being sure to make sure it is evenly distributed.
They do not have to be drenched in olive oil, so don't freak out if it seems like there isn't enough oil. We will be cooking them in a greased air fryer, so they get some more oil coverage from that as well.
Spray the air fryer basket with an olive oil spray, or brush oil on with a pastry brush, to make sure it is nice and greased before placing the chips in the basket in a single layer and cooking for about 7 minutes.
The bagel chips should turn golden brown.
Don't overcrowd the basket or the bagel chips will not become crunchy. The bagels should be cooked in a single layer. If your air fryer is on the smaller side then you may want to cook the bagel chips in batches.
TIP: Cook in batches if you cannot fit all of the bagel chips in a single layer.
💭 Important Teaching Tips
It is important to cut the bagel into even-sized slices in terms of thickness so that they cook evenly and become crispy all over.
Keep the slices relatively thin (think about the thickness of store-bought bagel chips). Too thin and the chips will burn, too thick and they will still be bread-like rather than crunchy.
Allow the cooked bagel chips to come to room temperature before eating. As they cool they become more crispy.
Keep cooled bagel slices in an airtight container so they stay crispy.
🥢 Useful Products
If you are here on a post about making bagel chips in the air fryer I think it is safe to assume you already have one of these magnificent machines.
If you don't though, or you are looking to upgrade, I have this one and love it. It's a workhorse, and with 2 levels I can get so much more cooked in each batch.
I am not a fan of the extra ingredients added to olive oil spray so I bought my own olive oil sprayer and use my preferred oil in there. It works wonderfully!
🍽 Serving Suggestions
Like I said before, these crispy bagel chips are the perfect vehicle for transporting dip from the bowl and into your mouth!
They can also be used as the base for canapes.
I love to serve them with:
- everything bagel cheeseballs
- cream cheese dip
- as a canape top with a smear of delicious simple herbed spread and some smoked salmon or cucumber slices.
They make the perfect dipper so if you can dip into it, then you can use the bagel chips to scoop it up and indulge.
👪 Frequently Asked Questions
Simply slice a bagel into thin slices, spray with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pop into a greased air fryer, and cook for about 7 minutes until golden and crunchy.
These are great eaten by themselves as you would with some chips, or they can be served with a creamy dip.
Yes. You will need to adjust the time and add a couple of minutes.
Hope you loved these crunchy little bites of deliciousness! Leave a 5-star rating on the recipe card below or drop me a comment at the very bottom of the page.
Air Fryer Bagel Chips
- 2 regular sized everything bagels (do not cut in half)
- olive oil spray
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your air fryer to 320F (160C). Use olive oil spray to lightly grease the basket of the air fryer.
- Use a bread knife or serrated knife to cut the bagels into thin slices. They should be sliced so that they are all the same thickness.2 regular sized everything bagels
- Lay the bagel slices on a baking tray and spray with a light coating of olive oil, flip and spray the other side.olive oil spray
- Sprinkle with the sea salt.1 teaspoon sea salt
- Place the oiled bagel slices in a single layer in the preheated basket of an air fryer. They should not overlap. You may need to do a couple of batches if you have a smaller air fryer.
- Cook for 7 minutes, or until the chips are golden brown, but not burned.
- Remove the basket from the air fryer and allow the bagel chips to come to room temperature before enjoying. They will become more crispy as they cool.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.