This air fryer Buffalo Chicken Wrap with cream cheese recipe is great for meal prepping ahead of time and enjoying throughout the week. They can be enjoyed hot or cold and transports well for an easy addition to your work or school (if they like a bit of kick). Make up a big batch of the buffalo chicken breast mixture and freeze it for the weeks ahead. It can also be used to make buffalo chicken sandwiches or flatbreads if you want to change things up.
Looking for another delicious chicken option for your lunch? Why not try this chicken recipe next: Best Bacon Ranch Chicken Salad.
Before jumping to the recipe please note that the below information contains HOT TIPS for this recipe. We try and answer all your questions to guarantee a perfect lunchbox recipe every time.
🧁 Buffalo Chicken Wraps
I love meal-prepping a big batch of these delicious buffalo grilled chicken wraps and having them wrapped and ready to grab and pop into the lunchbox.
This chicken wrap recipe is also:
- Budget-friendly: no expensive deli store wraps here, just some chicken breast, buffalo sauce, cream cheese, and your wrap of choice.
- Freezer-friendly: These wraps freeze really well, so are just perfect for batch prepping and freezing for a busy week ahead. Freeze the cooled wraps on a baking sheet and once frozen simply transfer them to a ziplock bag or freezer bag. This way it is easy to remove one wrap at a time without them sticking together. Remove the night before and allow to thaw in the fridge overnight. They can be eaten cold or reheated using the microwave or air fryer depending on preferences and what you have available.
- Made from simple ingredients you are likely to have in the pantry or can easily get from a well-stocked grocery store.
- Easy to double in volume which makes them just perfect for batch prepping and freezing.
🧂 INGREDIENTS YOU NEED
These wraps are super easy to make and require only a handful of ingredients.
You will need:
- cooked and shredded chicken breasts: you can buy this either premade from the deli section of the store or buy uncooked chicken breasts and do it yourself;
- cream cheese: let this soften slightly to room temperature so that it is easier to mix together with the rest of the ingredients. If it is too cold it will clump together in the mixture. You can always blitz it quickly in the microwave to soften it up if needed;
- buffalo sauce: this can be found alongside the other sauces and condiments in the store. I use Sweet Baby Ray's in this recipe, however, you can always make your own using a recipe like this one (three-ingredient buffalo wing sauce)
- shredded Colby Jack cheese: I would recommend buying a whole block of cheese and shredding it yourself so that you don't end up with the gritty texture you can get from pre-shredded cheese. However, if you don't have much prep time then go on ahead and buy pre-shredded cheese. This also works with other American cheese like pepper jack cheese or Monterey jack cheese;
- green onions: otherwise known as spring onions, we want to use the white and light green parts of the stalks;
- crumbled blue cheese: not all blue cheese is created equal, and some will be a lot stronger in flavor than others. Choose accordingly depending on how much you like blue cheese. You can buy a block and crumble it yourself, or buy pre-crumbled cheese if preferred;
- soft flour tortillas: buy large or jumbo tortillas to make them easier to wrap and hold together.
TIP: if you have minimal time for prepping you can buy pre-cooked and shredded chicken breast from the deli and use it in the mixture.
📋 How To Make A Grilled Buffalo Chicken Wrap
Don't worry, these grilled chicken wraps come together super easily, and can be made in a saucepan on the stovetop, or in the air fryer, depending on your personal preferences.
You are simply going to combine the chicken, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, shredded cheese, and chopped spring onions in a microwave-friendly bowl.
Give everything a good mix together and then microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring in between until all of the ingredients are well combined with no clumps of cheese or cream cheese.
Once combined, spoon the buffalo chicken breast mixture into the center of each tortilla, top with a sprinkle of blue cheese, and fold the wrap.
To Fold: Fold in the edges and roll up to enclose the fillings. Place the wrap seam-side down until all of the wraps have been rolled up.
Now it is time to decide if you would prefer to cook your buffalo chicken melt on the stovetop or in the air fryer.
To cook on the stovetop simply place a large skillet over low heat, spray the bottom of each wrap with cooking spray and place them on the heated skillet for about 4 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown.
Spray the tops with cooking spray, flip, and cook the other side for about 4 minutes.
Remove from the heat and serve.
♨️ How To Make In The Air Fryer
If you would prefer to cook the buffalo chicken wrap in the air fryer simply add the assembled chicken wraps to the clean basket of an air fryer preheated to 400°F (205C).
Toast for 3 to 4 minutes or until wraps are golden and toasted.
Depending on the size of your air fryer you may have to do this in two batches.
💭 IMPORTANT TEACHING TIPS
Although these wraps are super easy to bring together, I do have a few important cooking tips to make sure you have the best lunch wrap.
Do not overcook the chicken before shredding, as this will leave you with a dry and chewy buffalo chicken mixture, which we do not want.
To Cook The Chicken
Start by drizzling a little olive oil into a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
Let this cook for 5 minutes (it should be slightly golden), then use tongs to flip the chicken over.
Once the chicken is flipped over, add ¾ cup of chicken broth to the pan and cover it with a lid.
This will keep the chicken moist while cooking it fast.
Cook the chicken for another 7-10 minutes.
TIP: use an instant-read thermometer to ensure the chicken is cooked through (to 165F or 74C).
Once the chicken is cooked, shred it with two forks or a stand mixer, and then continue with the recipe as instructed in the recipe card.
Why not make a double batch of the shredded chicken mixture and store half in the freezer for an easy buffalo chicken meal prep idea? It can be used on pizzas or other wraps in the future.
Allow wraps to cool completely before storing them in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 days.
You can also wrap the chicken wraps individually in cling wrap (saran wrap) to make them easy to grab and go in the mornings.
Cooled wraps can also be frozen.
Store in the freezer for 3-6 months.
I recommend wrapping them tightly in tin foil and storing them in a sealed container like a bag. This will help prevent freezer burn and allow you to store them longer
If you do not want to shred your own chicken you could use a rotisserie chicken from the store or leftover homemade rotisserie chicken made in the oven.
Pre-shredded chicken can also be found in the deli section of most grocery stores.
You can also use thinly sliced crispy chicken tenders or the meat from boneless wings.
If you do not have any tortillas or made a big batch of buffalo chicken and want to change things up then why not try making a sandwich or a flatbread instead?
🥢 USEFUL PRODUCTS
🍽 SERVING SUGGESTIONS
Whether enjoying this as a quick snack wrap while on the go or sitting down to a full meal, there are lots of ways to enjoy these spicy chicken wraps.
There's nothing worse than a mushy cold wrap the next day. If your chicken wrap is already assembled, just stick it in the air fryer at 350F (175C) and reheat until warm, about 5 minutes and flip halfway through.
Check the wrap after 2 minutes.
If you would like to serve it as part of a whole meal then pair it with:
- Pasta Salad
- Garden Salad or other fresh greens
- Roasted Vegetables
- Extra hot sauce if you like some extra kick
- French fries or potato chips or tortilla chips
- A side of dill pickles
- Sour cream
- Thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
If packing as part of a lunchbox I would pair it with some fresh fruit, a handful of nuts or seeds, a muffin (for a sweet treat try these Sweet and Fluffy Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins Recipe), and some fresh veggie sticks.
👪 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Reheat an assembled wrap in the air fryer for about 5 minutes at 150F (175C).
Serve with a side of fresh veggie sticks and some blue cheese sauce, pasta salad, a simple side salad, or coleslaw.
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wrap
- 3 cups cooked chicken shredded (see notes)
- 3 ounces (85g) cream cheese
- ½ cup Colby Jack cheese shredded
- ¼ cup buffalo sauce
- ¼ cup green onions finely chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 6 medium flour tortillas
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken, shredded cheese, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and green onions.3 cups cooked chicken, 3 ounces (85g) cream cheese, ½ cup Colby Jack cheese, ¼ cup buffalo sauce, ¼ cup green onions
- Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between intervals, until the mixture is combined well.
- Set the tortillas on your work surface.6 medium flour tortillas
- Spoon the buffalo chicken mixture into the center of the tortillas, and sprinkle the crumbled blue cheese on top.¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- To fold the wrap, fold the sides in and roll to secure. Place seam-side down until you are finished rolling all of the tortillas.
Stove Top Cooking
- Place a large skillet over low heat.
- Spray the bottom of each chicken wrap with cooking spray and place them on the heated skillet.
- Cook for about 4 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Spray the tops of the wraps and flip to cook the other side. Continue cooking until that side is golden brown.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Air Fryer Cooking
- Add the assembled chicken wraps to the clean basket of an air fryer preheated to 400°F (205C).
- Toast for 3 to 4 minutes or until wraps are golden and toasted.
- Depending on the size of your air fryer you may have to do this in two batches.
This recipe is loosely based on a buffalo wild wings chicken wrap recipe, however, is completely original and made to be easy to make.