This easy homemade ranch dip is such a deliciously versatile dip recipe! It can be used for everything from dipping and shoveling chips and veggie sticks into your mouth to dipping a whole Spicy Buffalo Chicken Wrap in, or smothering over chicken breasts and baking for a scrumptious dinner. Great for making a big batch at the start of the week and using it in lots of different ways.
Before jumping to the recipe please note that the below information contains HOT TIPS for this recipe. We try and answer all your questions to guarantee a perfect lunchbox recipe every time.
🧄 Easy Homemade Ranch Dip
You are going to love this dip because:
- It is super easy to make
- It uses simple, grocery store staple ingredients
- Only 5 ingredients
- It can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge, making it perfect for meal prepping.
I use it as a dip with some chips, homemade bagel chips, or veggie sticks, or turn it into a simple salad dressing by adding some buttermilk.
🧂 Ingredients You Need
You are going to need a handful of simple ingredients for this simple recipe:
- sour cream: I use full-fat sour cream but you can use light sour cream if preferred. Plain Greek yogurt can be used in place of sour cream if preferred;
- fresh dill;
- fresh chives;
- garlic powder;
- salt and pepper.
And that's it!
No need for all the emulsifiers and preservatives added to the store-bought ranch dips, this homemade version can literally be made from ingredients you likely have hanging out in the fridge anyway.
📋 How To Make Ranch Dip
This ranch dip recipe really is super simple.
You are going to chop up your fresh dill and chives finely and add them to a medium sized mixing bowl.
Add the sour cream, mayo, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Give everything a good mix and pop it into the fridge in an airtight container for at least 2 hours, but up to 24 hours is preferable.
If stored correctly the dip should last in the fridge for about 2 weeks.
💭 Important Teaching Tips
This easy dip recipe tastes so much better after being refrigerated.
If you can leave it in the fridge for about 24 hours before serving it will be worth the wait.
For this reason, I usually prep a big batch on a Sunday afternoon so that it is ready for packing into little lunchbox containers come Monday morning.
TIP: Want to make a homemade ranch dressing? Simply add ¼ cup of buttermillk and whisk through the dip until it has a pourable consistency.
🥢 Useful Products
To pack into lunchboxes it is super handy to have small containers to keep the dip separate from veggie sticks and chips.
This is especially useful to stop it from leaking all over your lunchbox. I even use one of these when packing bento boxes, as I find it can leak no matter how leakproof they say the lids are between compartments.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
- raw vegetables: my fav fresh vegetables to use would be baby cucumbers, baby bell peppers, carrot sticks, and celery sticks;
- it is amazing as a dip for french fries (hot chips);
- also pairs well with potato chips;
- fried chicken wings;
- drizzled on top of a bbq chicken pizza (one of my favorite ways to use it);
- mixed through a potato salad;
- with chicken nuggets (air fryer chicken nuggets) or chicken tenders;
- in a chicken wrap like this bacon ranch chicken salad
- buffalo cauliflower;
- as a dip for these Spicy Buffalo Chicken Wraps;
- as a sandwich spread;
- as a marinade for some chicken breasts;
- add ¼ cup of buttermilk and it becomes an amazingly creamy buffalo dressing for salads.
I bet you can think of some more ways to enjoy this super versatile homemade ranch dip recipe, so be sure to leave a comment below the recipe card and I will be sure to update the list.
👪 Frequently Asked Questions
There are so many ways to use up leftover ranch dip. Use it as a sandwich spread, use it as a marinade for some chicken breasts, as a dip for french fries, as a dressing for salad, or drizzled on top of a bbq chicken pizza. Find a full list above.
If stored correctly in an airtight container in the fridge this homemade ranch dip should last about 2 weeks.
Easy Homemade Ranch Dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chop the fresh dill and chives very finely.
- Add the sour cream, mayonaise, dill, chives, garlic powder, salt and pepper to a medium and mix well until everything is well combined.
- Pop into the fridge for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight as this will allow the flavors to develop.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.